Monday, September 12, 2011

Emmy Predictions (Part 1)

I'm bored. No one reads this anyways, so who is going to care if I switch from my normal topic.

Here's how it works. I've ranked the nominees by most to least likely to win (according to me). I'll label which is my personal pick as well.

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series  
(Winner) (My Favorite) Mad Men "The Suitcase"
I may question the wins the past few seasons. "The Suitcase" is a force to be reckoned with. I think it's the front runner to win. I'd be surprised if it didn't win.
(Dark Horse) Friday Night Lights "Always"
If there is a dark horse here, this is it. Those who believe the Emmys have a sense of "make up call" like this one to win, which I would have to agree with. A show as under-awarded as this deserves some wins in it's final season. I, however, doubt the power of the "make up call".
Mad Men "Blowing Smoke"
Call it a numbers game or history repeating itself, but Mad Men is winning one way or the other. I find it hard to believe "The Suitcase" could lose to this, but the odds are overwhelmingly in Mad Men's favor.
The Killing "Pilot"
Strong pilot for a show that went downhill throughout the season. Too much competition though.
Game of Thrones "Baelor"
I would put money on the writing of this episode being better than The Killing. That said, I think fantasy writing is too hard for voters to get past.

Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series
(Winner) Modern Family "Caught in the Act"
Very funny episode. Not my favorite. However, I'm not seeing a way to stop the Modern Family machine at this point.
(Dark Horse) (My Favorite) Louie "Poker/Divorce"
Major darkhorse potential. I'm sure anyone could be convinced by that opening scene alone. They say getting nominated is the hardest part. Compared to the other nominated episodes, this is a level above. The only shows with episodes that could compete were snubbed.
30 Rock "Reaganing"
Let's see, 11 nominations (2 wins) in 5 seasons. Yeah, I think it stands a chance.
The Office "Goodbye, Michael"
Apparently I'm selling on this episode's chances a lot more than other people. All the Michael stuff is great, but the B-story with D'angelo and Andy really holds it down.
Episodes "Episode 107"
How this got nominated over ANY of the 40 episodes of Community or Parks and Recreation that weren't nominated I will never know. Just about any episode of Cougar Town, It's Always Sunny, or any of the other nominated series' episodes either. Sigh. At least there is no way it can win.

Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series 
Really? No Mad Men nominations? Okay.
(Winner) (My Favorite) Boardwalk Empire "Boardwalk Empire (Pilot)"
The directory, you ask: Some guy named Martin Scorsese. Heard of him?
(Dark Horse) Boardwalk Empire "Anastasia"
Boardwalk is about the direction. Other aspects are good, but the style is where it will get it's awards. If the pilot somehow loses, the other Boardwalk submission gets it.
Game of Thrones "Winter Is Coming"
A fantasy world allows some freedom. While I think the writing may be a bit much for voters, there's a chance they could appreciate the direction.
The Killing "Pilot"
Nover doubt the power of a pilot. Generally speaking, they get the most time for production and post. That could work in it's favor.
The Borgias "The Poisoned Chalice/The Assassin"
Kind of surprised to see this series nominated. I haven't seen this episode, but what I have seen of the series is a little over-directed.

Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series
(Winner) 30 Rock "Live Show"
The most impressive job of any of the nominees, directing what is normally a single camera show as a multi camera show and doing it live.
(Dark Horse) (My Favorite) How I Met Your Mother "Subway Wars"
A great vintage HIMYM episode. Also, Pamela Fryman should be recognized considering she has directed EVERY episode. That's unheard of these days.
Modern Family "See You Next Fall"
Modern Family "Halloween"
Modern Family "Slow Down Your Neighbors"
I think this is going to be a dominate year for Modern Family, but the other nominees have it.

More to come as I remember to post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment