Monday, June 3, 2019

Movie Reaction: Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Formula: Godzilla + Monsters

I have no investment in the Godzilla franchise. I've never seen the original or the myriad Japanese sequels. I've seen Rolland Emmerich's Godzilla. It made no impression on me. From what I've gathered from the internet at large, it was awful, but I really have no memory of it to confirm that. The 2014 Godzilla I remember a lot better. I wasn't crazy about that one. I simply didn't care about the human stories, which is a problem, since the big man didn't show up until after the midpoint of the movie. I had no expectations going into King of the Monsters. I knew that, to like it, I'd need some fighting monsters. Otherwise, I just didn't care.

King of the Monsters remains in the larger King Kong/Godzilla cinematic universe that Warner Brothers is building. It is a sequel to the 2014 movie but none of the same characters return*. This time, the focus is on the Russell family. After tragedy strikes them in San Francisco as a result of the climax of the first movie, researchers Emma (Vera Farmiga) and Mark (Kyle Chandler) split up. Mark goes off tracking wolves for some reason. Emma keeps their daughter, Madison (Millie Bobby Brown), and gets involved as a lead person in the Monarch program. I don't know if it's been established already, but Monarch is the group the finds, locates, and studies the titans, such as Godzilla and King Kong. A device that Emma finishes that controls the activities of the titans is stolen by an eco-terrorist, Jonah Alan (Charles Dance), who also takes Emma and Madison. Mark then teams up with a bunch of Monarch officials played by Kan Wantanabe, Ziyi Zhang, Bradley Whitford, and Thomas Middleditch to get his family back and stop Alan from destroying the world. Oh yeah, and the monsters. This device wakes a bunch of monsters, who proceed to destroy a bunch of cities. Godzilla sort of teams up with the humans to stop a three-headed dragon monster that I'm sure was given a name that I've forgotten. So, there are a lot of big monster fights, mostly at night and in the rain, since that's the easiest way to make CGI look good.

*I don't know. Maybe side characters return, but I had no memory of them.

Simply put, I really enjoyed this movie. I think the human story was so fully insane that I didn't mind how messy it was. I remember my big issue with the 2014 movie was that Aaron-Taylor Johnson's character just kept magically showing up at all the locations across the globe where important monster battles were happening. Well, this time, all the characters are actively tracking the titans. I've already accepted that I'm watching a movie where giant monsters exist. Telling me that some scientist has a magic device that allows them to track the monsters or influence them isn't a logical stretch. Having a person randomly stumble across key events across the globe by chance isn't a logical jump that's explained away as easily. So, that's why I don't mind King of the Monster's brand of lunacy as much. But, yeah, King of the Monsters is a ludicrous movie, very much in the Roland Emmerich mold. I thought more about Independence Day than his Godzilla movie though when I watched this.

Chandler, Farmiga, Brown, and everyone else all have good disaster movie characters. They are defined by a couple traits. They make the occasional tension-cutting joke. They deliver silly lines with a straight face. Everything you could want. The cast is overall better than the movie needs, but I'm pretty sure everyone knew that going in.

This movie won't be for everyone. If Pacific Rim bored you, this will too. If you can't find any enjoyment in a movie where The Rock fights an earthquake or giant crocodiles, then this is also not a movie you'll find joy in. This is missing a few touches that would've made this top-tier popcorn fun for me. The darkness and rain did muddle what was actually happening on screen a lot of the time. There a few too many supporting characters who I'm supposed to care about, and none of them pop in a way where I'd be disappointed if they didn't return in the next sequel. But, I don't want to focus too long on those things. I thought this was a fun movie in every way I could've hoped for.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment