Saturday, June 8, 2019

Delayed Reaction: Grizzly Man


The Pitch: Guess what happened to the guy who lived with Grizzly bears?

A documentary about grizzly bear activist Timothy Treadwell.

It turns out this is my first Werner Herzog movie. I should've realized this. I know Herzog's movies. I've heard them discussed plenty, and I've never seen any of the movies discussed. I think in the back of my mind, I just figured there was a lesser known film of his that I saw at some point, not realizing who made it at the time. As soon as Grizzly Man began though, I realized this was my first. That voice. I've heard that voice parodied or imitated many times before, but didn't realize who it was supposed to be. I didn't know that was Werner Herzog. I just thought of it as the "generic nihilistic documenatrian" voice (which isn't incorrect). So yeah, this is where I admit that I need to get to more Herzog in the future. Onto the movie...

I didn't think I'd be able to watch a documentary about a more insane person than Free Solo star Alex Honnold, then I saw that Grizzly Man was available on Amazon Prime. Less than a week removed from seeing Road, I figured I should make it an insane trifecta. Look, I like documentaries about communities or everyday life as much as the next guy, but the ones I really love are stories that I wouldn't believe if they weren't true. More often than not, it's not the feat that I have trouble believing; it's the person. As incredible as the whole thing is in Man on Wire, it's Phillippe Petit, not his high wire walk atop the Wold Trade Center, that I wouldn't believe in a movie. In The Act of Killing, I don't have trouble accepting that the Indonesian genocide happened; I'm in disbelief over how the bloodiest executioners seem unaware of the savagery of their acts. If someone tried to made the Timothy Treadwell story into a movie, I wouldn't have trouble with the idea that he survived for so long among the bears; I'd be bothered by Jake Gyllenhall's Steve-Erwin-by-way-of-Tommy-Wiseau, flower child performance, even when I found out afterwards that it was pretty accurate to how Treadwell really was.

Treadwell is just a weird dude, and Herzog does right by him. Grizzly Man isn't strictly a biography of Treadwell. It's Herzog putting together the puzzle that is Timothy Treadwell, despite missing several pieces. Treadwell's death is mentioned and discussed early, so it doesn't hang over the whole movie as some sort of twist. We don't learn about his past until late in the film either. The focus is on what we can learn from his footage with the bears.

A couple things did irk me, and I believe they are Werner Herzog staples. Herzog waxes poetic a lot and, even though he barely shows up on camera, doesn't ever let the audience forget that he's driving the film, . He also has a tendency to drive interviews. Several people felt more like they were performing for him than answering questions.

I'd like to know if Herzog would've shown footage of Treadwell being killed if it existed, or if he would've played the audio that does exist, had he been allowed to. Hopefully not. No one needs that. I know there was a time in my life when I would've been curious to see or hear that. I've looked up the R. Budd Dwyer footage before and have seen pictures of some things I wish now that I hadn't. Pretty much any time I've stumbled onto something violent and real like that, I've regretted it. Just hearing Herzog describe what was on the recording of Treadwell was enough for me.

Grizzly Man isn't as viscerally unbelievable as Free Solo. It doesn't have the celebration of Man on Wire. There isn't even the "at least no one died" relief of watching Roar. It's more quiet and reflective. Kind of haunting. I liked the movie, even though it was emotionally draining.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment