Saturday, June 8, 2019

Delayed Reaction: Senna


The Pitch: Watching a slow moving train wreck in the form of a fast moving Formula One car.

A documentary about the career and demise of champion Formula One driver Ayrton Senna.

Funny story. I meant to watch this about 5 or more years ago on Netflix. I actually started the movie then. Quickly, I realized there were subtitles in it, so I stopped watching it. I don't remember the context. I was probably doing something else at the time which wouldn't allow me to stay on the screen the whole time. Then it left Netflix for a while. Oh well. My loss, because this was a really solid documentary, and not even that subtitle heavy.

I don't know much about Formula One racing. In fact, almost all of my knowledge comes from the movie Rush. (On that note. They mention Niki Lauda early in this documentary, which helped me mentally place this story) So, Senna ends up being a documentary that taught me something while also telling a story. Kind of like how I now know the rules to wheelchair rugby thanks to Murderball.

I can't point to any one thing to say why this documentary is so good. It just is. The storytelling is straightforward and effective. It balances Senna's racing life and his personal life. It has great reverence for the man but doesn't deify him either. His death only hangs over the movie like a Sword of Damacles if you already know about it. The movie doesn't repeatedly telegraph it. And it genuinely made me care about Formula One racing, at least for a few minutes. After finishing the movie, I found myself in a Wikipedia rabbit hole, looking up past winners, events, and racing teams.

Best of all is that the movie doesn't overplay his death. There aren't a lot of replays or too many shots of what was a pretty public display. Having now watched this movie, I'm even more confused by it not getting an Oscar nomination for Best Documentary that year*. It's really good.

*I could rant for hours about how little sense that Oscar category makes sense, year-to-year.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment