Saturday, June 8, 2019

Delayed Reaction: Being There

The Pitch: Peter Sellers doesn't know he's weird.

Chance is a simple-minded gardener who accidentally finds himself in increasingly influential roles.

This is one of those quiet classics. I rarely hear anyone talk about this movie (and I hear a lot of people talk about movies). It has a generic enough title that it can easily be confused with several other movies. In fact, I'm about 20% sure that I thought this was another movie when I put it in my queue. Still, it is an incredibly respected movie. It's in a National Film Archive. In 2000 AFI listed it as the 26th best American comedy of all time. While I don't trust Rotten Tomatoes before maybe the mid 1990s, this does have a Tomatometer score in the high 90s (Then again, Shoot to Kill is 100%).

For me, the movie breaks down into 1 positive, 1 negative, and 1 undecided.

The positive: Peter Sellers is really, really good in this movie. Pulling off that steady monotone for an entire film is extremely difficult. I love that during the closing credits, the movie uses outtakes from a single scene to show how difficult it was for Sellers not to break in the middle of the scene. I have great respect for what Sellers does in the movie.

The negative: I don't buy this story for a second, even as satire or farce. The joke of the movie is that we know that Sellers' Chance isn't all there - he's simple if not outright stupid - but the people in the movie mostly don't realize this. I didn't buy into this idea. It didn't work at all for me. Now, smart readers may be wondering, "Alex, isn't this exactly what you have your One Big Leap rule for?" Well, yes. I do give any movie one thing that I just have to accept: one contrivance or coincidence that's I'd otherwise call bad writing. In this case, the Big Leap is that people don't pick up on Chance's oddness. The problem I have is that people are aware of it. It's just that they are selectively chosen. The realtor knows it. The house's old maid knows it. Assorted others do too. But, the Rands (Shirley MacLaine and Melvyn Douglas) don't. The President doesn't. Most unbelievable of all, when he appears on a late night talk show, just about everybody is entranced by him. I don't like the inconsistency. The people who do and don't see through him are picked randomly. I suppose this could be chalked up to satire. That could explain it, but it doesn't make me like it. I don't think it's smart satire, I guess. There too much farce. Too many conversations that have to be said in an exact, unnatural way for the misunderstandings to work. I hate that kind of stuff unless it's in service of a great punchline. I couldn't find any punchlines in this great enough to be worth the suspension of disbelief.

The undecided: That ending. I didn't know what to make of the ending when I watched it. What's the meaning of him seemingly walking on water? I wasn't sure, so I looked it up. While there's no definitive interpretation, I have concluded one thing for certain: it changes nothing about how I felt about the rest of the film before it. If I bought into the rest of what the movie was doing, then yes, Chance appearing to literally walk on water would blow my brain with possibilities and bump this from an A to an A+. For me however, it doesn't answer much. My questions are more along the lines of "why do some people see through him and not others?" or "why did it take so long for him to stumble into this success?". I don't particularly care why his shtick is working in a general sense or if there's something supernatural about him. I think this is a brilliant ending in an abstract sense, but it was wasted on me.
Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment