Saturday, June 8, 2019

Delayed Reaction: Algiers

The Pitch: Where'd they get the idea to make Casablanca?

A thief hiding out in Algiers stars to feel constricted in his surroundings.

I was inspired to watch this movie thanks to a Hedy Lamarr episode of the You Must Remember This podcast. It was her big debut for American audiences. I have very little to say about the movie though. I spent most of the time thinking about how much I wanted to watch Casablanca again. I can definitely see how this movie set things up for Casablanca. I'd even believe if you told me that the only reason Casablanca is so good is because Algiers worked all the kinks out of the location*.Then again, Casablanca is a movie that was still coming together while it was being filmed and ended up being so good almost by accident. Lemarr jumps off the screen more than anyone else. Charles Boyer is no Humphrey Bogart. So, yeah. Not a lot of thoughts on this one.

*The location being North Africa. I am aware that Morocco and Algeria different countries.

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment