Saturday, June 8, 2019

Delayed Reaction: The Bling Ring


The Pitch: Emma Watson is very much not Hermione Granger.

The story of the group of Hollywood teens who robbed the houses of several celebrities before inevitably getting caught.

I'm a Sofia Coppola fan. I'm certain of it now. After seeing The Virgin Suicides and Lost In Translation soon after they came out, I went a decade before seeing anything else of hers. I liked those two movies well enough. I really enjoyed 2017's The Beguiled. I was equally impressed by what she did with Marie Antoinette once I finally saw it. Now add The Bling Ring to the list of her movies that I've seen and liked. Only Somewhere remains, and I suspect that I'll like it too.

Now, there isn't a lot to The Bling Ring. It's a thin movie. It follows this group of narcissistic teens committing luxury crimes more than it actually tells their story. Coppola keeps a distance from them. You can either read that as her trying to refrain from judgment or assuming the morality of the story is self-evident. I lean toward the latter.

I figured more names would come out of this movie. I assumed it would be one of those movies where everyone turned out to be a year away from breaking out. Like Tanner Hall. That had Brie Larson and Rooney Mara before anyone had a reason to know who they were. The Bling Ring is a natural fit for forward-thinking casting. It's about LA socialites. That means every up-and-coming actress ready to claw her way to fame was already a perfect fit for the role. For the most part though, Emma Watson is still the only big name in The Bling Ring crew. Taissa Farmiga is the next biggest, I guess. But Claire Julien, Katie Chang, Georgia Rock, and Israel Broussard still have The Bling Ring as by far their biggest roles. Maybe that's why it hasn't had the same shelf life of other early A24 films.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment