Sunday, December 18, 2022

Delayed Reaction: Walking and Talking

Premise: Two friends navigate romance while on different life paths.


 

I'm new to the Nicole Holofcener cannon. I saw two films she wrote (Can You Ever Forgive Me? and The Last Duel) in the last couple years. Otherwise, I've only saw Enough Said in the last month or two. Walking and Talking is her first film, so it felt like the best one to get to next.

 

I get the appeal of her movies. They are pretty low stakes; generally just the turmoil of a small social group. Walking and Talking is a very pleasant movie. The cast is great. A lot of people before they were really names, like Catherine Keener and Liev Schreiber. It even has a pre-directing Todd Field. It's just a bunch of conversations between people with a touch of awkwardness. I dig it. I was impressed with how much story the film managed to fit into under 90 minutes. It's such an efficient screenplay.

 

The only thing I can say about it is that it feels like a one and done movie for me. I got what I needed to out of it this first time. That's only a negative in that this is a movie that really should be a hang out movie that I can put on whenever. I guess that means that it's just slightly outside of my taste. Good movie though.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment