Sunday, December 18, 2022

Delayed Reaction: The Fly

Premise: An experiment goes horribly wrong and a scientist slowly turns into a fly.


I've yet to be won over by a David Cronenberg film. The Fly does come close. I appreciate how lean the movie is. The opening gets right to the point and didn't bog me down with unneeded exposition like how Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum ended up at that event talking to each other. The end is similarly abrupt, ending as soon as the action is over. That is the full amount I need to know about the story. The characters only matter as far as the fly element, so that's all it covers.

 

Davis and Goldblum are fleshed out nicely. I like that it was more Davis’s film than Goldblum's, although they are co-leads in the technical sense. Goldblum is perfect casting in that no one rambles nonsense with conviction better than him.

 

The makeup and effects are pretty great. They are more restrained than I expected. It's only in the last act that it gets really disgusting. Until then, it's pretty subtle. And with Cronenberg "subtle" means "just short of overwhelming".

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment