Friday, December 16, 2022

Delayed Reaction: The Seed

Premise: Three friends vacationing in a remote summer home find that a mysterious creature landed by the house.


 

Ah yes. The remote location horror movie. A familiar concept for a filmmaker on a budget. Just rent a house and you are done location scouting. I say that cynically, but I actually tend to like those movies. Horror can work well in close quarters. It ups the tension and allows the budget to go elsewhere. In the case of The Seed, a lot of the effort went into creature effects and it was money well spent. The alien creature looks twisted and disgusting when needed. The three leads (Lucy Martin, Chelsea Edge, and Sophie Vavassuer) are fine. I get the feeling that director Sam Walker watched Alien then The Neon Demon and decided to make this. A lot of the look of the actresses felt very Neon Demon to me. I couldn’t quite figure out how often the film was trying to be funny. Hopefully more than less, because the movie wasn’t succeeding at scaring me or making me tense. The plot is a little simplistic and doesn’t always make sense. It’s a quick watch though. Horror more than other genres skate by as long as one element really stands out. In this case, it was the creature work. I did appreciate the bleak ending too.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment