Saturday, December 17, 2022

Delayed Reaction: Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever

Premise: The disease from Cabin Fever spreads to a high school on prom night.


I was worried about this movie. I saw the original Cabin Fever years ago and was thoroughly unimpressed. For years I've wondered why I knew Eli Roth's name and why that movie grew a cult following. To be fair, I barely remember the movie, but I do remember thinking little of it at the time. I never planned on watching the sequel. I only did because I've loved Ti West's movies, and it turns out he directed this movie.

 

Well, kind of. West did direct the movie, but the producers took the film over and reshoot and reedited it until West tried to get his name removed altogether. That's a relief, because I was equally unimpressed by this installment of the series. And it wasn't exactly a surprise to learn that this wasn't the version West made. Watching the movie, the animated segments at the beginning and end sure felt like a sloppy late edit. That and the film in general felt very disjointed. At the same time, I can't let West entirely off the hook. I didn't even see a kernel of something good in this. I suspect even West's dream version I would not have like much.

 

The movie has the tone of a National Lampoon horror movie. And I mean Dorm Daze National Lampoon not Animal House National Lampoon. No one stood out in the cast. Some of the disease stuff was appropriately disgusting, and thanks to COVID, the stuff about the disease spreading internationally at the end unnerved me. I can't credit the film too much though. It's kind of like how I'm always going to feel something in a movie if a dog dies, no matter how bad the movie is otherwise. How about I end on that? Cabin Fever 2 is better than a dog dying.

 

Verdict: Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment