Saturday, October 5, 2019

Quick Reaction: The Third Man


I'm not entirely sure how this ended up in my queue. I thought it was a Hitchcock movie until I turned it on and didn't see his name in the credits. It's a fun little film-noir. I love the idea of setting it in the mixing pot that was Vienna after WWII. It's fun seeing Joseph Cotten try to solve a mystery when he never knows what language to expect next. I didn't realize that Orson Welles was in this, and it's brilliant how long it waits to reveal him. Not a lot of movies have the patience to wait so long to reveal a star of that size. I don't entirely see why this gets put in "greatest films of all time" discussions, but I did enjoy it plenty. I suppose my only reservation is that I had trouble getting into all the film noir rhythms of the movie. I tended to tune out the mystery and just enjoyed it scene-to-scene.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment