Sunday, October 6, 2019

Delayed Reaction: The Great Escape

The Pitch: WWII doesn't have to be all doom and gloom. How about the story of some scamps trying to escape?

The prisoners of a German POW camp during WWII attempt and ambitious escape.

To anyone who wants to complain that movies today are too long, I say look to the early 60s. I sort of get why the epics like Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments, and Dr. Zhivago are so long. However, I have no idea why It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and The Great Escape are. I like the basic structure of The Great Escape. It's 2/3s showing the work put into the escape and 1/3 escape and recapture. I fail to see why this needed to take nearly three hours. Two would've been plenty of time, right?

The length does have some benefits. We get to know the characters better. It's able to juggle more story lines to show a variety of escape results. It allows for plenty of time to cover the process of tunnel digging. When they finally do escape, I appreciated the effort. I would've sacrificed 10-20% of that thoroughness for 30-35% less movie. It hit diminishing returns after a certain point.

This is somehow my first Steve McQueen movie, which doesn't seem possible. Is there a movie out there with both McQueen and Paul Newman? I'd sure like to see what that much swagger in one movie would look like. The famous motorcycle scene is pretty great. I really loved the score. This is a really enjoyable movie. It gets serious on occasion, but it's more of a "hang out" movie a lot of the time, in which the fun comes from seeing a bunch of likable characters bounce off one another. If not for the long run time, I'd be very favorable about the movie.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment