Monday, October 28, 2019

Movie Reaction: Downton Abbey

Formula: (Masterpiece Presents Downton Abbey * Star Trek: The Motion Picture) / StarTrek: The Series

I need to get one thing out of the way. I haven't seen a single episode of Downton Abbey. It didn't interest me at the time and I've never felt the need to catch up with it since it ended. Downton Abbey getting a theatrically released movie did present me with a fun opportunity. From time to time, I like to see movies in non-ideal conditions, like seeing sequels out of order or, in this case, not knowing the source material. I'm often on the other side of things, so it's entertaining to see how movies designed as supplemental material can or can't stand on their own. And, in Downton Abbey's case, I'm not wholly unfamiliar with it. I know who is in it and, I follow enough TV critics to pick up things by osmosis.

The experience of watching Downton Abbey as a fan of the show rather than as a newcomer is completely different. I don't know the histories of all the characters. Beyond some key cast members, I was never sure who was a series regular and who was showing up for the first time. I was fully lost for the first 20 minutes and in spots later on as I tried to figure out who all the characters were or what their significance was. I won't pretend that the movie successfully makes it easy for newcomers, although there are a number of points when exposition is given that I have to assume is there for people like me.

I'm not sure if this is because they weren't trying to overwhelm non-series watchers or if it's just the nature of the property, but not a lot happens in Downton Abbey. Or, at least, everything has very low stakes. The Crawley family finds out that the King and Queen of England are coming to Downton for a night. So, the stakes of the movie are "can they get the estate prepared in time?" I suppose there is a lot going on, but in a way that feels like a TV episode juggling several side stories. There are a lot of mouths to feed in the cast, and I feel like everyone got at least a moment to shine. I definitely see why everyone loves Maggie Smith as Violet Crawley, the Dowager Countess. Michelle Dockery is functionally the central character, and she's affable as such. I didn't realize Allen Leech's character was such a central role (or, at least he is in the movie). Imelda Staunton is by far the most prominent newcomer, and she matches wits with Maggie Smith just like they're back at Hogwartz. Tuppence Middleton pops up to be lovely for a few minutes, and because with a name as British as Tuppence Middleton, it would be a crime for Downton Abbey to be absent from her IMDB page,

Ultimately, my stance on Downton Abbey is that it's an exceedingly pleasant movie. It's a gorgeously dressed period drama that has removed every sharp edge. It's easy to see why people fell so hard for the show. I still have not intention of seeing the show, but that shouldn't reflect poorly on the movie. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I can't speak for the experience of the established fan, but the story does appear to put a bow on a number of story arcs.

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment