Monday, October 21, 2019

Movie Reaction: Zombieland: Double Tap

Formula: Zombieland + 10 years(?)

Other than the famous Bill Murray cameo, I don't remember a whole lot about the original Zombieland. I know I liked the movie. The cast is beyond reproach. It was a nice play on the zombie movie. But, I have trouble recalling much about it. I went into Double Tap with a lot of questions. How would its zombie humor work with a decade of other zombie movies and shows flooding the market even more? How well would the story handle expanding its world? How awkwardly would they fit in another Bill Murray cameo?

Double Tap is set some time after the original movie. Abigail Breslin's aging makes it hard to pretend that it's been much less than a decade, but it certainly doesn't feel like an entire decade has passed in that world otherwise. The crew from the original movie has settled into living at the White House. Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson) still reluctantly accepts that he has a family unit. Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg) embraces their comfortable lifestyle. Wichita (Emma Stone) bristles against it. Little Rock (Abigail Breslin) is desperate to meet some other people. The story gets set into motion when Wichita and Little Rock bail in the middle of the night. Columbus and Tallahassee pick up a dim-witted woman named Madison (Zoey Deutch) before Wichita returns without Little Rock, and the rest of the movie is an extended road trip to reunite with her. Along the way, they run into several fun characters played by Rosario Dawnson, Luke Wilson, Thomas Middleditch, and others.

But really, it's all an excuse for some over the top zombie kills, funny sight gags, new rules, and apocalyptic corpses of famous locations. In that respect, the movie is a success. It's a lot of fan service. The better you remember the first movie, the better for getting jokes and callbacks. It doesn't take itself seriously often and that works for it. The assumption is that people are there for some comic violence and funny lines.

I'll admit, I had trouble turning off my brain in some needed ways. There are a lot of characters who just plain don't act like survivors of a zombie apocalypse. For example, it's hard for me to believe that people who have survived this for years would think it's a good idea to shoot off fireworks. Deutch's character has absolutely no survival skills. Like, even without a zombie apocalypse, I'm surprised she lasted this long. As efficient as the lead group is supposed to be at zombie killing, they have way too many close calls. More than my issue with the zombie logistics is that the four leads presumably haven't grown at all between movies. They are all in virtually the same place as characters, which just made me feel back for them. The trailers like to point out how the cast is made up of three Oscar nominees and an Oscar winner. It's a shame the movie couldn't arc out their characters more.

The new characters were mostly duds for me. Rosario Dawson is the only one I wholly liked. That's no surprise. Rosario Dawnson always great and should be starring in movies like this, not given thankless supporting roles. I'm a big fan of Zoey Deutch. I'm not a fan of her character in this. The movie has nothing but contempt for her. Deutch works really hard to make the character funny. My dislike of her got in the way of too many of the punchlines though. Wilson and Middleditch mostly exist for a gag. They are fine for their few minutes, but their whole sequence felt like filler.

At the end of the day, you either like a comedy or you don't. The jokes hit or miss. The cast gels or it grates. I can try to break it down as much as I can, and it still comes down to how you happen to feel about it. For some reason, Zombieland: Double Tap didn't work for me. I didn't hate it. It just didn't do anything new. The whole movie was a retread on  the original idea rather than a collection of new clever ideas - the kind that made the first one enjoyable. I suspect that this is going to be one of those movies that people who liked it will say I'm humorless for not liking or that I'm determined to suck the fun out of it. That's fair. I disagree, but I get it. Regardless, Zombieland: Double Tap just didn't work for me often enough.

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment