Sunday, October 6, 2019

Quick Reaction: The Night of the Living Dead


Check another one off my horror oversights. Given the budget, the resources, and the time period, I'm not sure how you could ask for anything better. It starts strong, ends strong, and builds the tension in the middle. It creates the template for the zombie movie genre. It's remarkable to see such a strong black protagonist at the center. The movie never lays the racial tension on too thick, but it's incredibly telling that the movie ends with the police shooting him, mistaking him for a zombie. I'm sure that was no accident on George Romero's part.

I've actually never seen any of the Dead movies beyond scattered scenes. I'm excited to see how they develop over decades.

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment