Sunday, November 29, 2020

Quick Reaction: You Can't Take It with You


It's amazing to me to think that Frank Capra's movies were met with critical respect at the time. His movies' lack of cynicism would be roasted these days. I don't know if that's for the better or worse. I mean, is there really that much different in the tone of a Capra movie and Green Book? Sure, Green Book won Best Picture, but it's also the quickest "Buyer's Remorse" I've even seen for a Best Picture winner. You Can't Take It with You is a pleasant movie. I got both The Birdcage and Meet the Robinsons vibes from it: both movies I quite like. James Stewart, Jean Arthur, and Lionel Barrymore are all quite good in it. It's not one of the Best Picture winners that has aged the best, but it is very informative for what a Best Picture winner looked like in 1938. The Hays Code has fully hit Hollywood.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment