Thursday, November 19, 2020

Delayed Reaction: Three Colors: White

Premise: After being humiliated in his divorce hearings, and out-of-luck Polish hairdresser becomes a successful businessman to either get her back or get his revenge. Maybe both.

 


I'm still not that sure why Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy are such a touchstone of 90s World cinema, but I've seen them all now. They all have their own strengths, although White is easily my favorite of them. It's sort of a weird story. The first half or more plays like a Job story, then his rise and revenge happen quite quickly. It bothers me how much Zbigniew Zamachowski reminded me of Michael Weston. (No? That's just me? Oh well, I still stand by it) I sometimes forget how stunning mid-90s Julie Delpy was*. I don't have much else to say about her here, since she doesn't get much else to do. Her last scene from the prison cell is pretty touching though.

 

*To me fair, 2020 Delpy still looks great. Just 2 years until another Before movie, I hope.

 

I don't know that I'm that convinced to track down Kieslowski's other films, but I do like having the Three Colors monkey off my back.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment