Thursday, November 12, 2020

Quick Reaction: The Golem


It's annoying that Catholicism gets so much of the horror pie. There's plenty of Jewish mysticism out there. I'm sure Islam has that too. I know Mormon have some wacky shit. I'm sure some other protestants do too. Why is it always priests and devils though? We need more Golems.

 

I really will keep this brief because I like the idea behind the movie more than the execution of it. This has the feel of a fable rather than a horror movie. The scariest part is actually the opening. This is a high gore movie, which doesn't do a lot for me. The golem child is creepily blank-faced. I was a little disappointed that he was just a normal little boy most of the time. I hoped he'd at least be covered in mud throughout. 17th century Lithuania is a cool setting that I don't see often, especially for horror. None of the performances or actors stuck out especially. I certainly wouldn't mind more horror movies in this style, about this topic, or from these directors. This one just wasn't anything special.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment