Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Delayed Reaction: The Other Half

Premise: A man starts dating a woman who turns out to be bipolar and he learns to navigate that.

 


Sometimes you just need to watch a Tatiana Maslany movie. That is 100% of the reason I watched this. I didn't even know who else was in it or what it was about. Frankly, Maslany has earned that. As I figured out what the movie was about, I thought, surely after playing a dozen characters on Orphan Black, she could pull off one character with big swings in personality. It turns out, she could. That's all you need to know, really. If you want to watch 1r43m of Maslany being pretty good in something, here you go.

 

I can't say anything else about the movie stuck with me. It's really Tom Cullen's movie. He's great in the movie Weekend. He didn't really stick out in this though. It's sort of a less interesting version of the same character. Most of the time the movie followed him without Maslany, I just wanted it to bring Maslany back.

 

The movie sort of just ends. Or maybe I simply wasn't that interested in it by then. It's hard to say. As I said, you really should let your fandom of Maslany decide for you if you should give this a chance. It's a bummer of a movie a lot of the time. Maslany is giving a capital 'P' Performance that, in the hands of a different filmmaker, movie, and distributor could've got an Oscar push. The rest of the movie is there to support her performance, which is a bit of a problem since she isn't really the lead.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment