Monday, November 30, 2020

Quick Reaction: Brief Encounter


This is a seminal British Film. It often tops lists of greatest British Films ever made. It did reasonably well at the Oscars and is one of David Lean's earlier and - well - leaner triumphs. I think this is a movie badly in need of some context though, because I don't see it. It's a pretty movie. The lead performances by Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard are good. It's a nice tragic romance ending. Nothing groundbreaking though. Casablanca had the same general idea a few years before. I can't find anything else that special about it though. This is a perfectly fine movie, I suppose.

 

I'm coming out of it with Tokyo Story and The Third Man vibes. All good movies, but I can't say I would've realized they were highly revered classics without lists telling me so.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment