Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Delayed Reaction: Last Ferry

Premise: After getting drugged and robbed, a man witnesses a murder when he goes on an impulse trip to Fire Island.


I’ll keep this one pretty brief, because it's an example of a movie with a story I've seen dozens of times but with a different cast and location. I can't say there are many Fire Island mystery thrillers I've come across. Most of my favorite things about the movie were the aspects tied to that. I find vacation destinations during the offseason fascinating, because all the stuff's still there except for the people. It's naturally a little eerie. It's especially interesting for a place like Fire Island that has such a lively reputation. I also enjoy the idea of going on a last-second trip only to realize why it's good to do the slightest amount of research first.

The best thing I can say about the rest of the film is that it feels like any other thriller I see. It looks pretty good. The performances are all solid. The story hits the right beats. I'm sure that movie had a pretty small budget, but it really doesn't show on screen.

At some point, I'll figure out that I just don't care for that many thrillers. I watch a lot of them but I'm almost always underwhelmed. I guess I'm always looking for another Gone Girl. Last Ferry is certainly better than the Elsewheres or Blood In the Waters of the world, but it still didn't quite win me over.

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment