Thursday, October 22, 2020

Delayed Reaction: All of Me

Premise: Lily Tomlin dies and inhabits Steve Martin's body, although he also has control too.


And this is why I love Steve Martin. On paper, this idea doesn't sound like much. The screenplay has to do backflips to set up the premise of Tomlin and Martin sharing his body, but the results are worth it. Steve Martin is a skilled physical comedian, and I can't think of a performance that lets him show it off more. He's wonderful at portraying his body being controlled by two minds. This is a brief 93-minute comedy. Martin's performance alone makes it worth anyone's time.

Tomlin is good too, although it feels like a waste to only have her for mirror reflection shots for most of the movie. It makes me long for a movie about her and Martin bickering in person for 90 minutes. But then I'd be deprived of his physical performance. Thus, my conundrum.

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment