Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Delayed Reaction: The Dark Tapes

Premise: A horror anthology with a supernatural spin.


See? It’s not so hard. I'm always on the lookout for new horror anthologies and I have such a hard time finding good ones. All I'm asking for is for all the participating filmmakers to take it seriously. Just don't go for laughs. It ruins the tone for all the other short films. Unless you want to make a horror comedy anthology. That's fine. Trick r' Treat is great because it's got a consistent, playful tone. Just get everyone on the same page. That's all I'm asking.

The Dark Tapes is quite simple. It's four stories. One of them is broken into pieces between the other three. There's no connection to the four movies. They didn't bother explaining it, and I didn't really care. They all have a found-footage element to them, which I'm a sucker for. I loved one of the four parts. The other three were OK. The production values were pretty good except for a couple parts that involved costumes that didn't really work. The sets aren't particularly rich. Most feel like they furnished a few apartments with whatever was on clearance at Pier 1, and I'm fine with that. The actors are reasonably convincing. The storytelling takes some swings. They all feel of a piece. I assume that's because there's only two directors and one writer listed (unless IMDB is incomplete).

I don't want to overpraise this. I'd rather just say that it's a competent found footage anthology movie that avoids the mistakes of a lot of similar movies.

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment