Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Delayed Reaction: Destroyer

Premise: A former undercover officer tracks down the leader of a gang she infiltrated 16 years before.

 


I wish I could figure out why I didn't like this movie more. It has Nicole Kidman in a very committed performance. I love Nicole Kidman. I also love Tatiana Maslany. I really like Toby Kebbell, Scoot McNairy, Bradley Whitford, Sebastian Stan, and Toby Huss. This kind of LA crime underworld movie tends to work for me. I also like stories told in two different timelines that inform each other. On a technical level, I can't find anything wrong with the movie. I even like director Karen Kursama's previous work, especially The Invitation. Oh, and she directed the Halt and Catch Fire episode which includes the IPA vote and is a masterclass in tension.

 

I think that gets to the core of why I couldn't get more into this movie. It lacked the tension I'd expected it would have. Sure, there's some stuff like the Russian Roulette flashback (which felt over the top), but I didn't really feel like Kidman was under the gun or in much of a hurry. Sure, she wants to track Silas down. It's interesting seeing her get deeper into this underworld again. The "present" scenes felt really workmanlike though and the flashback scenes went where I figured they would. I actually like the idea of her immediately killing Silas when she finally tracks him down, because it's an unexpected anti-climax. However, the flashback before it doesn't inform that much and it all felt unsatisfying on a narrative level.

 

There's a good chance that this is one of those movies I'd like more with a second viewing, but my first viewing was mixed enough that I don't feel motivated to do that.

Nicole Kidman sure is good though. That's almost enough to give it a pass.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment