Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Movie Reaction: The Nutcracker and the Four Realms


Formula: Alice in Wonderland * Christmas

I have never seen a production of The Nutcracker. I've never watched any reproduction of the story. To my knowledge, I've never seen anything that borrows from the structure of the story. Other than a few musical cues, I have no knowledge whatsoever of The Nutcracker. That is how I like to go into most movies. If I know the source material beforehand, I have a hard time judging the movie on its own merits. However, I'm going to have to go against my own rule with The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, because I have a lot of thoughts and no idea how to sort them out. I'm hoping that going to the source will clarify some matters. Excuse me while I do a little Wikipedia research on the Christmas classic.
...
...
...
Well, that didn't help much. I mean, I understand a couple choices a little better. I appreciate the difficulty of this adaptation more. It doesn't fundamentally change my appreciation of the movie at all. Dammit. It looks like this is going to be one of these overly critical reviews.

I'm not going to be alone. Disney has known this for a while. They embargoed reviews until right before the movie was released. That's always a bad sign. It means they know there's isn't much public excitement for the movie to begin with, and they don't want what they know are negative reviews to kill what little buzz there is. I hate piling on too. I'd much rather champion a movie that others turn their noses too. In fact, some time in the last month, I started getting excited for The Nutcracker. It looked crazy and chaotic: an island is misfit event movie cliches that could manage to work despite itself. Where a lot of people saw a poor man's Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, or Chronicles of Narnia, I saw potential for The Princess Bride, Stardust, or Labyrinth. Alas, my hopes were misplaced.

The Nutcracker is loosly based on the ballet. Very loosely. It's probably better to say it used the ballet as a starting point to build something very different. It tells the story of Clara Stahlbaum (Mackenzie Foy), a clever young girl who recently lost her mother. It's her first Christmas without her mother, and she, her father, sister, and brother are all handling it poorly in different ways. At a grand Christmas Eve party thrown by her godfather (Morgan Freeman), she is guided to the magical land of the Four Realms. I'm not sure how, exactly. Magic, I guess. Just go with it. Anyway, the Four Realms are at war with each other. The rulers of three of the realms, including Sugar Plum Fairy (Keira Knightley), ruler of the Land of Sweets, are at war with Mother Ginger (Helen Mirren), ruler of the Fourth Realm. It turns out Clara's mother was the queen of the Four Realms, which makes Clara the princess. With the help of Captain Phillip Hoffman, the Nutcracker (Jayden Fowora-Knight), who she meets along the way, Clara must find a way to make peace between the Four Realms.

There is one thing I looked up before seeing this movie, and that's the run time. It's barely over 90 minutes. That shocked me, because the story I just described in the last paragraph has "2 hour 15 minute fantasy epic" written all over it. The way they cut out those 45 minutes is by truncating the story severely and giving up on character development. This is a very plot-driven movie. The first hour of it is Clara being pushed through all the events. She follows the lead of every character and circumstance. It isn't until very late in the movie that it feels like she has any control over what's happening. It's hard to build a character out of that. Her only discernible personality trait is that she's plucky. And she's the most developed character. The Nutcracker should be the breakout supporting role, both because of the name of the movie and his role as the sidekick who doesn't have the responsibility of driving the story. That's the Han Solo, Jack Sparrow, Mad Hatter role. Sadly, his only character trait is that he's blindly loyal. There's a mouse character who is literally too small to have much of a personality. Keira Knightley is buried under a performance that requires her to talk in baby voice the whole time. [I couldn't stop thinking about Cristin Milioti in the "TGS Hates Women" episode of 30 Rock.] Knightley gives it her all, but it's too silly to overcome. Mirren gets very little to do, because as soon as she says five words, she telegraphs where the rest of the movie is going.

Throughout the movie, I kept thinking about all the different movies this reminded me of, but the one I kept coming back to is Labyrinth. A lot of the complaints I have with The Nutcracker could be said about Labyrinth too. Both movie force a teenage girl with little discernable personality into a story that seems to move forward whether she does anything or not. Labyrinth has turned into a beloved children's movie. I see no way for The Nutcracker to end up beloved. Why? Well, because Labyrinth is proudly weird. It has David Bowie is an absurd role that he's 100% committed to; singing catchy songs for some reason. Each leg of the journey in Labyrinth is it's own quirky chapter, with characters who make a quick impression. Almost none of that movie makes sense, and that's fine. The Nutcracker doesn't excel at anything a movie needs. It doesn't have a strong lead who I care about. None of the supporting characters pop in a memorable way. There isn't a cheeky sense of humor. The production design isn't especially impressive or ingenious. It's mostly a collection of leftover ideas that didn't fit in Alice in Wonderland or The Golden Compass. The villain, for a few reasons, doesn't get to be villainous in a fun way. The famous ballet is ham-fisted into the movie in a way that's more distracting than anything. A better score that really took advantage of the very famous music could've done a lot in this movie.

Still, I didn't hate the movie. It isn't exactly bad. Go with me here. The best way I can describe it is this. In professional sports, when a league adds a new team, they hold an expansion draft. The way it works is that all the current teams in the league are allowed to protect a few of their best players. The new team can then put together a team out of all the unprotected players from of the other team rosters. So, in basketball a 15 player team protects 8 players. The new team can pick any of the other 7 players from each team to build their roster. So, what you end up with is a new team that's made up of the 9th or 10th best players from other teams. These aren't bad players, but none of them are great players. The Nutcracker is very much like a movie put together by a fantasy movie expansion draft. It has the 9th best thing about Lord of the Rings, the 5th best part of The Golden Compass, the 7th best element of Labyrinth, etc. It isn't the best example of anything from the genre. Expansion teams are almost always awful right away because the other teams are built out of better pieces by definition. That's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms in a - well - nutshell. Despite a commitment from Disney (estimated $120 million budget) and a couple decent signings (Mirren has an Oscar and Knightley has a pair of nominations), it's obvious why no one was racing to piece this story into a movie sooner.

One Last Thought: Is this a Christmas movie? It takes place on Christmas Eve. Christmas is the direct impetus for the story. Many of the production design elements are directly pulled from classic Christmas items. Inside the Four Realms though, nothing really screams "Christmas". If this was a more popular movie, this could spark a much more interesting debate than the one surrounding Die Hard and Christmas. I think I'm leaning toward The Nutcracker and the Four Realms: Not a Christmas movie.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment