Friday, November 23, 2018

Delayed Reaction: Mamma Mia


The Pitch: Do you like the music of ABBA?
A girl invites the three men who might be her father to her wedding in order to surprise her mother...and everyone sings ABBA songs.


It's weird how much I can forget about movies I saw less than a decade ago. I didn't see Mamma Mia in theaters, so we're talking 2009 at the earliest. Not that long ago in the grand scheme of things. However, as I was watching Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again in the theater, I couldn't remember enough about the first film to gauge how much the sequel was reusing. So, as soon as I got home, I turned Mamma Mia on to rewatch.

I have to say, that was a great idea. Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again already put me in a great mood. Watching functionally the same movie but with Meryl Streep was a treat. Meryl is a great singer and, by all accounts, loves singing any chance she can get. It's crazy that she hasn't been in more musicals. I suppose the fact that few musicals get made anymore and that she's perfect for every kind of role regardless of genre explains her dearth of musicals. I can't recall of a movie where Meryl is having more fun.

Look, if you don't like ABBA's music, you're obviously not going to like this. The story is very flimsy. The characters are thinly drawn. The musical numbers aren't being directed by a master at her craft. This is all true and none of it matters. If you don't get joy out of seeing people like Christine Baranski, Julie Walters, and Pierce Brosnan being silly, then I don't know what to do with you. This is a movie about good feelings. The three fathers get along from the very beginning. There's no forced competition between them. They're all good guys. They are all excited by the idea of having a daughter. There's no unneeded melodrama. The little that there is gets handled quickly and simply so they can get to the next song.

In an era when musicals were more common, I can't say that Mamma Mia would stick out or be that memorable. It's just a pretty good example of something that isn't done much any more. That's enough for me.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment