Friday, June 1, 2012

Top 10 House Episodes: 4-7


Looks like I got these put together faster than I expected.

In case you missed part 1:
Top 10 House Episodes: 8-10

Now, here's 4-7:


7 - Son of Coma Guy (S.3 E.7)Special Guest(s): John Laroquette, David Morse

"Quick, what's the kid's status? I've got to get back to out Sleeper before he goes looking for the orgasmatron." -House

Why I Love It: House and Wilson on a road trip. Check. Three time Emmy winner John Laroquette. Check. House telling the story of the man that made him want to be a doctor. Check. That has to be some sort of trifecta. This is probably the most telling episode about what House cares about and who he cares about. A terrific showcase for the two most important characters to the series.

"You lied to the cops enough for me...maybe I don't want to push this till is breaks." -House

--------------------

6 - TB or Not TB (S.2 E.4)
Special Guest(s): Ron Livingston

"You're just mad because he's closer to a Nobel prize than you are." -Wilson
"And yet I've nailed more Swedish babes. Crazy, crazy world." -House

Why I Love It: This is one of those episodes that I imagine started with a theme and had a plot developed for it. Early House episodes really loved pointing out the hypocrisy of things society often reveres. The show took a devil's advocate stance on an issue and had you rooting for the devil by the end of it, normally by pointing out a greater morality within generally negatively perceived traits like selfishness, apathy, and pride. House vs. the TB Missionary is one of the best examples of this.

"Oh, the whores can like the sex, but it doesn't mean they;re not whores." -House

--------------------

5 - House vs. God (S.2 E.19)
Special Guest(s): None

"He is not a saint. He figures out what's going on in people's lives by watching, listening, deducing..." -House
"And you're worried about trademark infringement?" -Wilson


Why I Love It: Before it became old-hat and rehashed again and again, the episodes that challenged religion were some of the most entertaining. Something about the House vs. God board has a pompousness that always makes me smile. The points they make about the disparity between religious tenets and the people that espouse them, such as Chase pointing out that the patient should be humble enough to believe God speaking to him could be a disease, are some of the best I've seen, especially for network TV.

"You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic." -House

--------------------

4 - No Reason (S.2 E.24)
Special Guest(s): Elias Koteas

"I got shot. Diagnostically boring. Big tongue, on the other hand - endlessly entertaining." -House

Why I Love It: One of those episodes you have to watch a second time before you understand it. As I've said before, when the writers committed to playing with story structure, the results were almost always great. This one is such a wonderful mindfuck and props to the director for finding a way to make House putting the moves on Cameron with a surgery machine so damn hot.

"I'm almost always eventually right." -House

--------------------

At this rate, maybe I'll have the top 3 ready for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment