Thursday, May 31, 2012

Top 10 House Episodes: 8-10

I just watched the House finale*. I figure it would be wrong to post this before I could digest that, and I also wanted to believe they could do something with the last episode that would make everything alright. So much for that.
Now, I've spent a good three years going on about how House isn't what it was, without saying much about what it actually was. It was a procedural with serial elements. A drama, with a harsh comedic edge. It was a Fox show if there ever was one: daring, taboo, and unique. No show ever had a character like House. He came fully formed, flawed, and flaunting it. He was unapologetic, uncouth, and most importantly, right.
I love this show. At it's best it was one of the best on TV. Like most shows, it didn't always hit that high mark, but when it hit...well, it was pretty marvelous. Here's my list of my top ten House episodes. Rankings are highly subject to change except #1. That one is pretty set.

*I watched it a while ago. Too lazy to retype that sentence and also to lazy to get this posted any earlier.



10 - Words and Deeds (S.3 E.11)
Special Guest(s): Meagan Good, David Morse

"When I lead the big patient rebellion, Voldemort here is the first to go" -House

Why I Love It: This was House's first and best rehab stint. The reason, because it wasn't really rehab. There's some great moments of House opening up to people, apologizing under the guise of rehab. For a brief moment I even worried that House was going to repent for everything he is (i.e. ruin the series. It took a couple more season for them to get there), but then it's all revealed to be a ruse. House is still House, unrepentant and proud to be the misanthrope we love. Queue "Season of the Witch" and fade to black.

"Nothing's changed?" -Wilson
"Nothing's changed." -House

--------------------

9 - House's Head (S.4 E.15)Special Guest(s): Anne Dudek, Fred Durst

"I'm not a lesbian." -13
"I was rounding up, from 50%." -House

Why I Love It:This is the last great House episode, before the schtick got old. An outright examination of how House thinks, complete with a Cuddy striptease, you get to see a concussed House try to remember what happened on the bus, with an ending that is one of the best "a-ha!" moments of the series.

"You believe in reason above all else. The must be a reason." -Mystery Girl

--------------------

8 - The Jerk (S.3 E.23)
Special Guest(s): None

"And it's Tuesday...I like you." -Chase
"I know. See you next Tuesday." - Cameron

Why I Love It: Don't say I don't have any "case of the week" episodes on the list. Here is one of the all-time great "who can we put in a room with Greg" cases. This is a rare case where House has met his match and I rather enjoy the lesson that some people are just jerks.

"I was bluffing. And that's why you lost." -Asshole kid
"Jerk." -House


--------------------

More to come, as I remember to post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment