Sunday, May 13, 2012

Movie Reaction: Dark Shadows

Formula:  1 Part Death Becomes Her, A dash of Stardust, and stir vigorously in a pot of Tim Burton.

Cast: Being a Tim Burton film, you come to know who to expect and what to expect of them. The mileage may vary depending on your preference of that style. I will say, this is the straightest Depp has been for Burton in quite some time. He reacted to the odd things happening rather than creating them. Eva Green and Michelle Pfeiffer  did well. Chloe Mortez may be edging Emma Stone out as my most reliable casting indicator for a movie. Maybe it's just me, but I kept getting distracted by Bella Heathcote reminding me of a younger Jayma Mays.

Plot: I liked it. Since I don't know much about the source material (ok, I know nothing about it), I am assuming a number of things the plot does that unsettled me is to evoke the feel of the original show. There's one point when some half a dozen reveals happen all at the same time that I can only assume was purposely done as an homage to the soap opera aspect of the source. One thing I should note: the movie they are selling in the trailers is a much funnier movie than the finished product. That isn't a complaint, although I think it's important to know that going in. It's Tim Burton though, so if you remember that much, you'll go into this with the right mindset. He isn't trying anything new here.

Elephant in the Room: Why was my theater so damn crowded? Ok, I know that's not an "elephant", but I couldn't think of one and that was way too crowded for a 12:50 showing on a Sunday. I know it's Mother's Day. Could that be why? Do people associate mothers with Tim Burton? Was it because I went to the hipster theater in town? Does this movie attract their misguided understanding of irony, motif, campiness, or any other word they don't realize they're using incorrectly? All I can say is that this better not happen again. I don't go to these early showing to be around people. Don't I see enough of them already.

To Sum Things Up:
Good movie, but for more of a niche crowd than the previews suggest. My favorite Tim Burton movie since Big Fish, probably, and my favorite Burton/Depp collaboration in a longer time than that, although that's not a bar that's been set very high. Also, message to everyone out there, I don't want to see you at the 1:20 showing of Battleship next week unless you are with me.


Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment