Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Quick Reaction: Touch of Evil


You'd think for how much I love Citizen Kane that I would be quick to praise any of Orson Welles' work. It turns out that isn't the case. Touch of Evil is fine. The opening tracking shot was definitely built up too much. It's an impressive shot, especially by 1958 standards. I didn't feel the tension building from it the way people always talk about. I also think I'm not that hot on film noir. I like some of the Humphrey Bogart stuff and Double Indemnity, but lately I've been underwhelmed by both Touch of Evil and The Killing. My appetite must not be that insatiable for the genre. Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh, and Orson Welles are all quite good in the movie. I appreciate how it uses the US/Mexican border a long time before filmmakers began to fetishize it. I can't technically complain about anything in the movie. It just didn't draw me in.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment