Friday, October 8, 2021

Delayed Reaction: Running on Empty

Premise: A family on the run from the law attempts to adjust to a new setting.

 


A common strategy in TV and movies is to hide something thoughtful within something sexy. The Sopranos is a therapy drama about a man navigating a world that is shifting away from him, but people know it as a gangster show. The Americans is about marital struggles, but it's sold on the sexy spy stuff. I have to imagine there was a similar pitch strategy to Running on Empty. The heart of the movie is a coming-of-age story for River Phoenix's character. It's also a "sins of the father" movie, and it's not subtle about it. However, the plot description is a lot crazier than the actual movie. It's a movie about a family on the run. The parents are anti-war terrorists being hunted by the FBI. The family moves around the country and assume new identities. It all sounds like a killer pitch for a TV show. But really, it's about the interpersonal stuff. Just really heightened.

 

It was fun going into this blind because I was not ready for that premise. I figured it was a basic family drama. I only watched because it is River Phoenix's only Oscar nomination, and I'm fascinated with him as a Hollywood "What if?". I didn't expect that plot.

 

Phoenix is really good, although he's definitely a lead in the movie, not supporting. I like Christine Lahti and Judd Hirsch as the parents too. Both are people I associate with TV who actually had pretty good film careers too. And Martha Plimpton is someone I always forget was a child star. This cast really sells the crazy story well.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment