Monday, October 4, 2021

Delayed Reaction: The Keeping Room

Premise: Three woman left behind during the Civil War decide whether they should fight to protect their home or leave before the arrival of the Union Army.

 


On a personal note, I will never keep this and The Keeping Hours straight. I can't think of a scenario after this when I would bring either movie up. Regardless, it's 50/50 that I'll say the correct title. Sorting them in my mind will be an impossibility.

 

Anyway, this movie is...fine. I saw it for the cast more than anything else. Britt Marling doesn't show up in enough things, so I'm always curious to see something else with her. I was majorly curious about Hailee Steinfeld's return to the Western genre. She really is a revelation in True Grit. And, well, I guess it's just those two actresses I saw this for. It's not a large cast, and no one in the history of cinema has been excited by Sam Worthington in a cast list*.

 

*To be clear, I'm not saying he's a bad actor. In fact, I have complete face blindness with him. I've seen him in many movies and he never makes an impression. He's the closest thing to a pure neutral in film.

 

I didn't look much up about the movie. I figured it was a Western from the poster. I thought it may even be horror. Instead, it was more of a dark thriller. It does a good job with limited resources. It's almost like a home invasion movie. I don't care that it's period accurate. There's no way to stop me from chuckling at the idea that Steinfeld is nearly taking out by a racoon.

 

Given the short runtime, good use of the setting and genre, and good cast - I'm not as familiar with Muna Otaru but she's decent as Marling and Steinfeld's slave, which is a depressing thing to say - it's hard to savage the movie. It just doesn't make much of an impression. Kind of like The Keeping Room. I mean, The Keeping Hours. Dammit. It's already starting.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment