Friday, October 22, 2021

Delayed Reaction: Abominable

Premise: A girl in China finds a Yeti and helps it get back home in the Himalayas.

 


(Club 50)
This movie is 97 minutes long. Does anyone want to make a guess how far into it I got before I realized it wasn't Smallfoot, the animated movie from a different non-Disney studio about yetis that came out the year before this? I don't know the exact moment, but I remember nearly an hour in still wondering when Lebron James was going to show up. It should've been obvious as soon as I realized that Abominable's yeti didn't talk, but I am not a smart person.

 

I'm doing a catch up on some of the Club 50 movies I've missed over the last couple years. It turns out, I don't watch a lot of non-Disney animated movies and those make money. Watching them now, I'm reminded why I skip most of them. Abominable is perfectly fine. It's got that same How to Train Your Dragon or Home energy. Scrappy teen. Unusual creature. Some coming-of-age and a little adventure. It's hard to hate that. It doesn't really stand out either.

 

What I find a little more interesting is just how unnotable this voice cast is. Sarah Paulson is the biggest live-action star lending a voice. Eddie Izzard and Chloe Bennet are the only others I even recognize. I like that. In the Shrek and Shark Tale days, Dreamworks Animation got way too concerned with getting A-list stars for the voice cast, and often it distracted from the movie itself. The Abomination strategy a great way to save some money and keep the focus on the movie.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment