Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Quick Reaction: Hamlet (1948)


At this point Hamlet is that song that's been over-played on the radio so much that you start to hate it. It's a good song. I'd like to hear it on occasion, but not every day on multiple stations and in ads and at parties and at karaoke. Like, I probably wouldn't mind the Black Eyed Peas that much normally, but the entire Elephunk album is ruined to me because of how ever-present it was when I was in high school. And that's where Hamlet is with me now. I've seen enough versions and adaptations. I've seen reimaginings. I've read the play and studied it in school. I think the only thing I haven't done is actually see it live as a play (you know, its intended presentation). I'm tired of it. I'd rather see riffs on The Tempest or one of the lesser known histories. Or, you know, not Shakespeare even.

 

So, I have very little to say about Laurence Olivier's Hamlet. It's one of the Best Picture winners I've been looking forward to the least just because I knew exactly what to expect from it. It's a good Hamlet adaptation. It's appropriate that Olivier won his Oscar for this. It's about the driest win I can imagine though.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment