Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Delayed Reaction: Clouds

Premise: The story of teenager Zach Sobiech, who wrote the hit song "Clouds" shortly before dying of cancer.

 


This movie has a bit of a shroud of invincibility on it since it's based on the true story of a kid who died of cancer. That aspect alone means an opinion like "It's a good thing that Zach Sobiech has already passed, because this would kill him" is immediately off the table. While I didn't hate the movie, I am going to express some frustration similar to Dr. Greg House's when one of his patients was a "cancer kid".

 

I actually watched most of this movie forgetting that this was based on a true story. Literally, in the scenes when they are recording "Clouds" I was thinking "That sounds like a real song I could hear on the radio. Good job, music guy for this movie". It finally dawned on me that it was a true story, and I realized all the framing of my thoughts had to be a little different.

 

I think this movie is everything it means to be. It's a teen-skewing tearjerker with shades of carpe diem. Fin Argus in the lead role is a charming and handsome Disney Channel-esque leading man. Sabrina Carpenter slums it a bit in a best friend role. They and Madison Iseman make a really awkward live triangle. Neve Campbell and Tom Everett Scott as the parents are there to make me feel old. It even has Lil Rel Howery because someone on the movie realized they needed someone who could bring some levity in the cast. The story is a familiar one of a sick teen who won't let his disease slow him down. I appreciate the message of the movie a lot. It bothers me a little that it wasn't until the end credits with actual footage of Zach Sobiech that the room got a little dusty for me. You'd think the parents finding his college letter or the crowd singing his song back to him would've broke me, but nope.

 

My big issue with the movie is that hagiographies are boring. This is essentially a movie about a kid who everyone loves, has multiple girls in love with him, and grows a luscious head of hair back after going off chemo. He goes viral and inks a record deal before passing away after a magical final performance. It's just...boring. Which, is maybe just a way of saying it's not for me. I'm not sure that's there's a "fix" needed. A movie about a mopey kid who no one really likes and gets a token record deal because of the publicity of his cancer isn't a movie that Disney+ wants*. It's also not like they can rewrite history, since I assume this had to be made with the family's blessing. Like, it's dumb to have the best friend and love interest be different characters. It would've been dramatically more interesting if he died before getting to do the show at the Metropolitan and that became the impetus for Sabrina Carpenter to get over her stage fright. Obviously, that all strays too far from what really happened. So, yeah, my complaint is that this is a true story and that I wanted the cancer kid to be sadder. I'm clearly the bad guy in this story.

 

*It would make an interesting Sundance movie though. Hint hint.

 

Final Note: I've loved Jason Mraz since "The Remedy". I realize he's not the coolest musical act to get for this movie, but I was all for it.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment