Sunday, November 10, 2019

Quick Reaction: The Passion of Joan of Arc

Silent movies have such cool back stories. The full cut of this one was thought to be lost for decades until a copy was found in 1981 in an Oslo mental institution. You can't beat that*. Renee Jeanne Falconetti's performance really is great. 90% of it involves her looking as bug-eyed as possible, which she does with aplomb. Some nice cinematography too. The version I watched has some recreated music which wasn't what accompanied the film when it was originally released. I liked it though. It worked well for the tone of the movie. While I get the historical importance of the film, I wasn't super enthralled by the movie. My silent movie tolerance just isn't very developed.

*Actually, that could be an interesting premise for a movie.

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment