Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Delayed Reaction: Hoosiers

The Pitch: OK, it's a basketball movie but only with white people. Before you ask how we are going to pull that off: it's set in 1950s Indiana.

Gene Hackman is a disgraced basketball coach who takes a small town team all the way to winning a state championship.

I have to tread lightly, because I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say that's critical about this movie. I'm a lifelong basketball fan when went to IU. Perhaps Breaking Away is the only sports movie that's been more beat into me by my surroundings. However, I'd categorized Hoosiers as more good than great. Gene Hackman is great at being likably prickly. His focus on basketball fundamentals has the Bobby Knight-loving part of me weak in the knees. I'm a sucker for a good underdog story too. And, Dennis Hopper's "alcoholic father trying to do better" role is hard to root against. This movie has some iconic moments. Obviously, the scene when he has them measure how far the basket is from the floor is a pantheon sports movie moment. This movie is an ideal sports movie in that it has stakes and setbacks without the ending ever being in doubt.

It's not perfect though. My biggest issue is that the basketball just isn't that exciting. David Anspaugh was a first time director and his D.P. (Fred Murphy) was a journeyman cinematographer. They really just don't capture the excitement of a basketball game. To be fair, it's 1950s basketball, when athleticism wasn't even a word. What's happening on the sidelines in the movie were always more interesting than what was happening on the court. Also, and this is admittedly pretty picky, is the team's turnaround really that impressive? They were mediocre. The best player in the state joins the team. Then they win the state championship. It's been proven often that one player can dramatically affect a basketball team, especially at lower levels. I feel like this undermines how good Gene Hackman's character is as a coach. I mean, Lebron James has made a lot of coaches look really good.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment