Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Movie Reaction: Charlie's Angels

Formula: Charlie's Angels ^ Pitch Perfect 2

I've seen a string of movies lately that I've had to deeply consider and examine closely. That's all fine and good. I love serious-minded movies about dour topics that make other people ask me "why would you pay to subject yourself to that?" But I love my popcorn too. I value a movie's ability to entertain as highly as anything, and I start itching for that entertainment if it's been too long. Thank god Charlie's Angels came along.

I'm afraid my examination of this movie won't get very deep, because it is a very simple pleasure. I had a blast watching this. It's a good time, beginning to end. I never watched the 70s TV show much. I don't hold the McG movies very dear. They didn't hit a tone I cared for. This latest version, directed and co-written by Elizabeth Banks, is exactly the right tone for my tastes.

In this version, Kristen Stewart and Ella Balinska play veteran Angels at Charlie's agency (think of the place Angelina Jolie works at in Mr. and Mrs. Smith if you need a different reference point). Naomi Scott plays a programmer at some fictional energy company that's about to release some technology with a deadly application that only she knows about. So, the Angels rescue Scott while also recruiting her to join, so they can stop the technology from getting into the wrong hands. The story is gibberish and everyone involved knows it. It makes only enough sense to give the movie a spine and holds up well enough that there weren't any details that I spent half the movie bothered by. If you can put up with the plot of Spy, then you can put up with this.

I love this Angel team. Kristen Stewart is perfect in this. I don't think any performer this year will have more fun playing a role. Stewart is effortless, funny, and drew my attention whenever she was on the screen. It honestly felt like they told her to improv each line and "do what feels natural". Stewart is the loose cannon of the group. Balinska is more of the enforcer. She's tall with a wiry strength and still looks like a model. I haven't seen her in anything before this. I'm not sure she fits for a wide array of roles, but she's perfect for this, which asks her to convincingly throw  a punch, roll her eyes at Kristen Stewart, and deliver a few zingers of her own. Naomi Scott gets the worst role. She's the audience surrogate character being introduced to this world. So, she's not as comfortable as the other two and gets stuck asking a lot of questions. She allows everyone else to have a blast though by taking all the functional, exposition work. And, it's not like she's a drag on the movie. She fits in well with everyone and, at worst, is a net neutral. Elizabeth Banks steps in to play Bosely as well, and it's a reminder that Hollywood failed to capitalize on her earlier in her career. She would've been a great Angel 20 years ago*. No one else in the cast is indispensable. Patrick Stewart, Sam Claflin, Nat Faxon, and others all play to their strengths, but they could've been recast without changing the movie in any significant way. That's not to say they're bad. It's just not their movie. And it's fine, because none of them would show up in a sequel anyway. More on that in a moment though.

*Banks is an odd case though. She's 45. She looks 35. But she's best suited to play a role of someone who is 55. It's weird seeing her get older, because historically, she's been what Zoey Deutch is now: someone who works best as the youngest person in a group with much older people. I love that she's finally gotten the chance to shift into directing.

This is an action comedy, not an action movie that's funny. Banks isn't especially skilled as an action director. No more than someone like Paul Feig is. She's functional. The action scenes are easy to follow and get the job done. They're strategically edited though and not very complex. The main concern is having fun and getting laughs, which she's great at. This compares very nicely to Pitch Perfect 2, which Banks also directed: disposable but entertaining. I was never bored by the movie because everyone on screen was having too much fun.

This movie fell way under expectations at the box office opening weekend. There probably won't be a sequel, and that sucks. I sure hope this doesn't get spun as some sort of rejection of female-led action comedies. This movie does maybe push the "girl power" angle a little hard but not in a way I found distracting. With any luck, this will have a long tail, like Pitch Perfect did, because I'd love a chance to go on another adventure with these characters.

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment