Monday, November 11, 2019

Movie Reaction: Last Christmas

Formula: A Christmas Carol / Return to Me

I'll give you a moment to decide if you want to turn back.
...
I've already said too much.
...
This is your last chance
...
I mean it.
...
OK
...
Here I go.
...

Last Christmas is exactly what you are thinking it is about. Or, at least close enough to what you are thinking. If you don't know what I mean, watch the trailer again. If you still don't know what I mean, then I don't know what to tell you. Think about the song. I plan to be thinly coy for the rest of this, so be warned.

This is a movie about a young woman named Kate or Katarina (Emilia Clarke). Kate is a mess. She drinks too much. She isn't very considerate of people. She crashes at friends' houses because she's been evicted without a back up plan. But, everyone agrees that she can be very charming and likable in between her moments of self-sabotage. She works at a year-round Christmas shop run by a woman she calls Santa (Michelle Yoeh). Her life is a mess until one day, she chances upon a mysterious man named Tom (Henry Golding). She keeps meeting him by some mix of chance and intent, and each time, her life gets a little better. I'd like to say there's more to it than that, but this is a Christmas movie, and its only concern is to make you happy. Which it did, for me.So, success.

I'm very excited for what Emilia Clarke's post-Game of Thrones career has in store. She was excellent on that show, but I get the feeling she's going to be good in a lot of things. I still think she was the best part of Terminator Genisys by a significant margin. Her charm nearly made Me After You work. Last Christmas is Me After You but without most of the sad stuff, and Clarke is great in it. I came out of this movie wanting her to be my frustrating friend who is also one of my favorite people. Henry Golding is the manifestation of the Manic Pixie Dream Boy. It's written into his role, almost literally. His entire Hollywood output so far has been "the perfect, most handsome guy" and he's good at it. I swooned. You will too. That's just what he stirs in people. He and Clarke work nicely together, because they are too pretty people who are being asked to light up a room. I don't see Michelle Yeoh as often as I'd like to, so my last memory of her was as the buttoned up, devious mother of Golding in Crazy Rich Asians. That's not her at all in this. She is just delightful throughout the movie. She tries to be stern, but it doesn't work. After all, this is a woman who runs a Christmas shop because she loves Christmas so much. It's not a deep character, but this isn't a movie for deep characters. Speaking of thin characters, Emma Thompson plays Clarke's mother: a Yugoslavian immigrant who is desperate for attention. Thompson also co-wrote the screenplay, so I can't be too bothered by her writing in a comedic side character that allows her to use a fun accent.

So, do you remember when I said Last Christmas is exactly what you think it is? That thing that you noticed about it that seemed off? Again, you are correct about that. And I don't think the movie is trying to hide it. The trailer invites you to ask it. The way Henry Golding moves around screams it. The way that his favorite saying sounds like advice from a fable begs you to wonder about it. The movie is not trying to be more clever than you, but the problem is, I don't understand its endgame. The movie is being obvious about all the clues, which got me excited. I figured there was a reason for it. Like, that wasn't the actual reveal the movie had waiting. There wasn't more to it though, and it's not really even explained. OK. Let me close this up, then we can talk after the credits.

I enjoyed Last Christmas a lot on the surface. The cast is full of lovely people being lovely and doing lovely things. It has a couple ill-fitting diversions in it that, I guess I agree with the point they are making, but I don't understand why they are in the movie (the word "Brexit" has no place in this movie. It doesn't belong). Otherwise, it's the standard Christmas movie that's about how Christmas time brings out the best in everyone. It's hokey, and I'm fine with that. I just wish I didn't spend so much of the movie distracted by the elephant in the room.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

After the Credits
Watch the trailer again. Only Emilia Clarke ever talks to Henry Golding. She asks him how he always keeps showing up. She mentions that she had a serious heart problem.
I'm someone who is fooled easily by twists. I am never looking for them. That's not how I enjoy movies. I welcome a narrative trick. And still, I went into this movie certain that Henry Golding didn't exist. So, I'm assuming that virtually everyone else figured this out immediately. The trailer begs you to figure it out and early on, the movie itself does too.

I wasn't sure the exact logistics. Was Golding an Angel? Was this an out-of-time thing? Perhpas Golding was a manifestation of her alcoholism? I ever briefly wondered if multiple characters didn't exists. My favorite theory was that Kate killed her parents and sister in a car crash because she was drunk at the time, and that she's homeless now, and Golding is a reinterpretation of her therapist or something. I kept looking for something more complex, because him just being the ghost of the man whose heart she received didn't explain enough. Why was he appearing? How does she just happen to be sitting at his bench? And, I'm stupefied trying to come up with how she knew about the phone in the cupboard, or, more importantly, why that was a plot point at all. I kept waiting for more explanation. Maybe there was something on his phone that he wanted her to see (Nope). Maybe it turns out that she'd researched the man whose heart she received, and her guilt and depression literalized him to help her work through it (Nope).  However, it's nothing like that. He's just a ghost she sort of falls in love with. And he told her such specific stuff that I have to believe that he really existed. There's no wiggle room about the meaning of it all, which is the kind of ambiguity this kind of movie normally loves. So, this movie just casually confirms the existence of ghosts with the end purpose of...feeding the homeless, I guess. Emma Thompson is an Oscar winning screenwriter. It baffles me that this is the screenplay she settled on. She (and her co-screenwriter) got 70% of the way through an idea, then just stopped there, right before she got to the part where she ties it all back together. I came out of the movie feeling like someone told me to hold my breath then didn't get around to telling me I could breathe again. Like, I know I could start breathing again anytime I wanted, but I thought the game we were playing was that you would tell me to hold my breath then tell me to start again. Last Christmas is one of the odder anti-climaxes I've ever seen in a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment