Sunday, December 10, 2017

Delayed Reaction: Trolls

The Pitch: We have the Trolls IP. What should we do with them? Make them sing?

Trolls try to stay hidden from creatures called Bergens who eat them.(Club 50)

I don't have much to say. Anna Kendrick and Justin Timberlake are charming. The music is fine. Catchy but not much else.

Stay with me here. While watching this movie, I kept thinking of the line "Quit trying to make 'fetch' happen." This movie really wants to be Happy Feet. It wants all the singing and dancing to be the thing this movie is known for. I can easily imagine the solution to everything when they were storyboarding this being "why don't we just put a song there instead?". I should be able to see the brow sweat of a kid's movie from trying too hard to be likable.

The humor goes for self-referential without being all that clever. It's structured in a less straightforward manner than I expected, which was interesting. I waited a couple days to write this to see if any new thoughts about it came to mind. That had the opposite effect. After a couple days, I struggle to recall much about the movie at all.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment