Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Get a Job

The Pitch: It's sure hard to get a job...not really. It's hard to get a job you succeed at...not really. It's hard to get a job you are passionate about...that sounds about right.

There is exactly one reason why I saw this movie: Marc Maron mentioned it enough. That's a first, I think. You see, this film has been on the shelf for a while. I was filmed in 2012 and came out [barely] in 2016. In that time, I think Marc Maron has had half the cast on his WTF podcast and he inevitably mentions this movie that they worked on together even though they weren't in any of the same scenes. Kind of like how The Lone Ranger's aggressive marketing beat me down, that echoed talking point got me to see Get a Job.

Miles Teller, Anna Kendrick, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Alison Brie, Bryan Cranston, John C. McGinley, John Cho, and Jorge Garcia is the cast of a movie that I'm going to see: on opening weeking, under normal circumstances. This final product is pretty dismal though. None of the characters are interesting enough and it couldn't settle on a tone. It wavered between gross-out comedy, buddy comedy, and serious commentary on  employment opportunities in uncomfortable ways. Teller's character just feels entitled. Maybe I'm getting older, but the "guy who doesn't want to work for a stuffy corporation" is a trope I have no interest in. I think there could be a whole movie about Cranston, as Teller's recently unemployed father. Like Teller's roommates, his father just felt like a distraction, given the amount of time the story received. Kendrick started off somewhat interesting, but got too silly after she was laid off. Alison Brie was wasted (a phrase I'm getting far too used to saying). Occasionally, I'll reference "Whoever's available" movies. These's are movies that don't have a specific reason for existing and the casting appears to be whoever had a hole in their schedule at that time. Everyone is in the movie just to have something to do. It's the equivalent of eating something for lunch simply because it's noon. A Good Old Fashioned Orgy is a good example of that. Rapture-Palooza is too. Get a Job fits that description as well.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment