Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Modern Romance

The Pitch: Albert Brooks is a neurotic man who tries to make his relationship work.

Albert Brooks sure is unlikable in this film. It's a character type that he has mastered. He's neurotic, self-obsessed, and an ass. He's also charming and endearing at times. I'm not sure what to make of the movie. It's funny, although most of the jokes are more "funny to think about" than "laugh out loud", or they are the kind of jokes you appreciate more with subsequent viewings. I'd almost categorize this as a "slice of life" movie in the vein of recent Coen Brothers films (Inside Llewyn Davis, Hail, Caesar) or the Grown-Ups movies, since it's often just a collection of scenes from different parts of Brooks' day. Most of it is tied to his relationship with Kathryn Harrold. Sometimes it's just him doing his movie editing job. The Quaalude scene is certainly fun in the way that it keeps going and going: a nice, slow train wreck of sorts.

Brooks and Harrold match each other well throughout. The film wouldn't work if I didn't buy into the relationship. I question her participation in the relationship more than his. They are trapped in a place where they are about 85% "in love", which is probably more honest than most RomComs in the world.

I want to figure out the appeal of Albert Brooks amongst a certain type of comedy nerd, so I'll be checking out some of his other films. Based on this, I'm not sure I get it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment