Sunday, October 30, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Sisters

The Pitch: Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are - what's that? You don't need to know anything else.

Amy Poehler and Tina Fey are two of my favorite people. They are the stars of two of my favorite things in the world and have made me laugh more than just about anyone. The two of them together is just as great as separate. I loved those Golden Globes, for instance.

For some reason, I have trouble buying into any of their movie roles. Sure, Poehler has Inside Out and Fey has Mean Girls (written by Tina Fey, mind you). Tina Fey has taken more lead or large roles (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, This Is Where I Leave You) and Amy Poehler has done smaller roles and films (They Came Together, A.C.O.D.). Most have been underwhelming. Perhaps I just think they are above the material. Or, maybe they are better learning a character over years or on SNL, where they were always Amy and Tina playing characters. I don't have the answer. I wish I did.

Sisters is fun and totally worth watching for Poehler and Fey. If you don't get joy from watching them try on dresses or go through childhood mementos, then you have issues. The movie puts together a delightful, eclectic cast of old SNL friends (Maya Rudolph, Bobby Moynihan, Rachel Dratch), people who feel like SNL vets (Ike Barinholtz, Samantha Bee), and outsiders (John Leguizama, John Cena, Dianne Wiest, James Brolin). There's even a few "How the hell do I know that person?" All Stars: Madison Davenport (Remember Ethel from Shameless?), Britt Lower (From season 2 of Casual, also, not the same person as Maggie Siff, I've realized), Greta Lee (Tran's granddaughter from New Girl). It was fun to see the - let's be nice - over 35 crowd get to make their own Project X and see how things escalate.

I just didn't find it as funny as I'd hoped. Part of that has to be that my expectations are too high for those two. The pacing was a little off and many of characters felt like they were in SNL sketches that went on too long. When the movie stopped trying to be funny, it dragged severely. That's about all I have to say, because I don't like getting too down on a movie that I thought was perfectly fine. A high 3 that could be a 4 if I ever watch it again.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment