Friday, October 21, 2016

Delayed Reaction: The Nightmare

The Pitch: A documentary about the nightmares of people with sleep paralysis.

This film was presented to me as a documentary that's scarier than most horror movies. I specifically stopped reading anything more about it and found a night when I didn't really need a good night's sleep to watch it.

It's a different kind of documentary. On the surface, it's a bunch of interviews with people who experience sleep paralysis. They describe their nightmares and the reaction people have to them. What really makes this effective this that as they tell these stories, the film recreates the nightmares and finds interesting ways to display the dream-like horrors.

I don't think I'm supposed to come out of the movie believing that any of these dreams really happened. The fact that they are real in those peoples' minds when it's happening is enough. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well that night.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment