Tuesday, November 25, 2014

DVR Purge: 11/18-11/24

How does the week mark keep sneaking up on me?

Past Purges 


Agents of SHIELD "The Things We Bury"
Fitz is back to taking part in missions. Skye's dad is a little crazy. Bobbi is wearing fewer clothes. A lot to like this week. I'm very curious to see how they tie all this in to Agent Carter.

New Girl "Teachers"
I could focus on the hilarity of Nick teaching Schmidt how to do laundry (no one knows how to use permanent press) or Winston how to read a ruler (thank god they never got to the centimeter side). I could laugh at Coach and his new buddy. I could look to how entertainingly perfect Ryan is for Jess, despite her efforts to fight it. No, I'm going to focus on the coincidence that I watched The Preacher's Wife just last week only to have New Girl reference it multiple times, after going 27 years* without hearing it referenced a single time in my life.

*It came out in 1996, so 18 years, but you get my point for dramatic effect.


The Mindy Project "Diary of a Mad Indian Women"
These residents are just on the wrong side of the hilarity diagonal in which Mindy interacting with any youths for any reason is the best thing ever. Still good, but not as good as Mindy hanging out in a high school.

Arrow "Draw Back Your Bow"
It's inevitable to have a show about a vigilante creating new vigilante's who don't quite get it. Leave it to a comic book show to turn her into a masked crusader as well with a cupid proclivity. I'm not greatly invested in the love triangle they are creating, but Brandon Routh continues to be a worthy foil they are building toward.

The Middle "Thanksgiving VI"
Truth be told, for a lot of shows this week, I had a bunch of notes that I was working off and then lost in the process of file transfers, so I'm going off more memory than I'd like. Can we all agree that the second that Devin Levin was mentioned, we knew that she was going to be a perfect match for Axl? Yeah, she is pretty perfect for him and Gia Mantegna (Yes, daughter of Joe) is good enough in the role that I'm happy to have her back, especially since all the other kids are dating someone.
 
Modern Family "Three Turkeys"
The first underwhelming episode of the season. It's a good sign if it took eight episodes to get there. There's definitely a sense of everyone kind of hating each other, with Cam and Mitchell feuding with Lilly, Claire and Alex begrudging Luke and Phil's free-spiritedness, Gloria and Jay hiding from the rest of the family. Even Haley's plea for togetherness is only to offset Christmas plans. Make no mistake though, this is the front runner for Modern Family nominee for direction in next year's Emmys.

Blackish "Oedipal Triangle"
It's nice to see Zoey and Jr. interacting. I'm having the most trouble figuring out what to make of either one and putting them together goes a long way in working out the nuances.

Big Bang Theory "The Champagne Reflection"
An episode without an A-story. The three grouping were all kept isolated from one another for the majority which left if feeling really wobbly. Not bad, mind you. "Fun with Flag" was plenty funny and Leonard, Raj, and Howard reflecting on the dead professor's life work was poignant. I just left the episode wondering where the episode was. It was strange.

A to Z "H is for Hostile Takeover"
Andrew like climbing stairs. That's the co-lead of the show everybody. And we wonder why there wasn't a full season order. It's such a shame because in a different show, I'd love this cast.

Parenthood "Lean In"
Good lord, Joel and Julia. This better be it. They better be together now. I'm so under-engaged by their situation by now that I just want it to be over.
Oh, and every student should pull out of that school after seeing the way the headmaster lets her son get away with anything.

Girl Meets World "Girl Meets Friendship"
What's the over/under for how long before we see Lucas' Texas friends again? I saw 2.5 episodes.

Saturday Night Live "Cameron Diaz/Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson"
The Good: The girls are back and home for another holiday. The Schoolhouse Rock about executive orders was on point.
The Bad: Diaz's monologue that reeked of not being able to come up with a better idea.
The Undecided: Having Diaz do a scene with a lemur on a leash is inviting something to go wrong. The abstract play that was uncomfortably too right.

Mulaney "Motif and the City"
I don't like reaching this point, but yeah, I think I'm hate watching this. I just listened to the Mulaney WTF Podcast and convinced myself that I've been too hard on it or watching it the wrong way. Then I watched this week's episode and I still can't find an angle to come at it to enjoy it. Also, numerous things from that interview were oddly present in the episode tonight. Coincidence or is that guy just incredibly shrewd?

Brooklyn Nine Nine "USPIS"
There's two kind of guest stars: the kind you bring in to shake things up with the established characters and the kind that take over the episode completely and the established characters are written around. Ed Helms was definitely the latter in this episode. It was a fine episode around him, but he's was a bit of a drag and so was Peralta by-proxy.

The Walking Dead "Crossed"
I know the limited cast episodes allow for more depth and character development and have been some of the strongest episodes the show's done. Still, I like being able to see everyone in an episode. That said, it was a lot of moving pieces into place for whatever goes down next week. Glad to see Eugene is alive and some shading for Rosita that didn't involve screen time with Abraham.

Gotham "Lovecraft"
I never expected to enjoy the Bruce/Selina part of the show this much. The character development is still at an aggressive pace, but whatever. This doesn't need to match up with a larger DC universe and remembering that will be key for both the writers and the audience. I'm rolling with it for now*. Moving Gordon to Arkham Asylum should be fun for a while (especially with Morena Baccarin showing up).

*I did have to groan when IVY showed back up.

Scorpion "Talismans"
Special news coverage messed up my recording. Smooth move, Ferguson.

No comments:

Post a Comment