Thursday, November 13, 2014

DVR Purge: 11/11-11/12

 Got another one ready in well under a week. Go me!

Past Purges 

Selfie "Landline"
Karen Gillan is 26 years old. There is absolutely no way she doesn't recognize a land line phone. Even if we take into account the audience, the 18-49 demo is the coveted one that people are making shows for. Even people born in 1996 remember landlines from their early years. Can we officially retire the joke about people not recognizing analog phones? It's not even a funny joke.

Agents of SHIELD "The Writing on the Wall"
Agent Coulson v. Bobby Cox. I approve.Ward is still on the run and Fitz is no longer seeing things. They keep moving in good directions.

New Girl "Goldmine"
If I comedy makes me laugh, I can't hate it, because it's doing what it set out to. That majorly applied to this week's New Girl. In its own right, I'd call it a strong episode though. Everyone had something to do. Nick inched ever closer to fusing with Max from Happy Endings by pretending to be gay. Jess got stuck in legitimate shenanigans. The Schmidt/CeCe story keeps chugging along, featuring a pantomimed conversation between Schmidt and CeCe's breasts, set to an instrumental version of Vatamin C's "Graduation (Friends Forever)". Coach helped Winston get laid after playing the long con with their hot roomates (Welcome Amber Stevens and welcome back Alexandra Daddario). I tried to take actual notes of the episode but it turned into me quoting nearly every other line.

The Mindy Project "We Need to Talk about Annette"
Two things are abundantly clear: 1) They are getting every bit of use they can out of Rhea Perlman as long as they've got her. 2) They didn't have Allison Tolman long enough to do anything with her. I like Perlman, but she is starting to feel like as integral a part of Mindy and Danny's relationship as Mindy and Danny. Tolman on the other hand they brought in last week, talked up for the whole episode this week, then disposed of quickly. I think they internalized a bit to much of Peter's thinking in this.
Oh god, and the dubbing in post production of the seen in bed with Tolman was AWFUL. You can literally see her mouth not lining up with her saying "I'm like the Matthew McConaughey of the Romance Novel world"

Arrow "Guilty"
Laurel's new trainer is a vigilante too? She sure know how to pick 'em. I'm curious to see what happens next with Roy. Did he kill Sara or not? Even though I'm technically caught up on all the episode, I feel like I'm not mentally caught up, so everything is still stewing around in my head. For example, it's just hitting me now that Moira is dead. I'll get there eventually though.

The Middle "The Sinkhole"
Yes! My favorite kind of The Middle episode. There's some plot building up and all, but it's highlighted by a third act family scene with everyone together going insane. The infamous Death Napkin finally makes an appearance, only to be destroyed in the family's communal bowl of cereal. The comforter in the oven and blue bag make cameos as well. My love of call-backs has never been a secret, so I was in heaven even before Sue's delightful P.E. performance set to "Shake It Off".

Modern Family "Queer Eyes, Full Hearts"
Am I getting my hopes up? I must be, because I'm finally starting to believe that the writers are writing Cam and Mitchell as a couple who like each other again. Of course, they include a couple jokes about the perceived gender roles of each, but they're in good fun. Incidental, not intended. The episode suffered from a lack of Luke as any episode would. Otherwise, another fine episode is a season that has drastically improved my opinion of the series so far.

Blackish "The Gift of Hunger"
This has almost single-handedly revived the Parents v. Child family sitcom. This week Dre and Rainbow (seriously, that name...) teach the kids about the value of money, complete with the use of two different dated rap songs. Another strong episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment