Tuesday, November 18, 2014

DVR Purge: 11/13-11/17

Getting one of these up before watching basketball gets me backed up (Note: that's likely to happen a lot for the rest of the season). You'll notice that's a picture from A to Z. Well, that's what you get for finally having Cristin Milioti singing in an episode.

Past Purges 
The Big Bang Theory "The Septum Deviation"
Last week Sheldon admits his feelings for Amy. This week, he's hopelessly worried about Leonard. I feel like a regression is coming any week now. I haven't seen "villain Sheldon" for too long and it would be foolish to believe he's been vanquished for good.

A to Z "G Is for Geronimo"
Here are the notes for this episode:
Are we going to get to hear Christin Milioti sing?
Please let Christin Milioti sing!
Why haven't they let C.M. sing yet?
They must be saving her singing for the end.
They totally are.
YAY! She's singing!

Parenthood "Aaron Brownstein Must Be Stopped"
These DVR Purges are the least read posts on this blog, so I don't feel bad about beating a dead horse. With that in mind, I'm going to return to my thoughts last week about the limited cast.
How limited is this supposed to be? There's an entire non-Braverman story with Hank and his old family. It was good but unneeded. Are they stringing a bunch of these limited cast episodes together so they can bookend the season with the full cast together? It would be nice to have a full episode thrown in the mix with this instead of this string of limited ones. Between Parenthood and The Walking Dead, I dyin' for an ensemble piece here.
Oh, and Max is out of control. A great performance by the actors involved, but that kid is losing it.

Saturday Night Live "Woody Harrelson/Kendrick Lamar"
Surprisingly, this episode tickled the crap out of me. Obama and McConnell getting drunk on bourbon (Woodford if I saw right). Crazy Eyes pops up out of nowhere! Another Last Call sketch!! Young Tarts and Old Farts reminding me that I'm a sucker for celebrity impersonations!!! For some reason, I laughed harder at the Match'd sketch than I have on anything this season. Probably my favorite episode of the season so far.

Brooklyn Nine Nine "Lockdown"
Peralta botching the temporary captain-ship until the very end was more of a plot-driven move than a character-driven one. There were plenty of entertaining gags around the station (Diaz loving Something's Gotta Give, "It's not that weird to say 'May I have some cocaine?'") and I enjoyed every part of the Holt/Jeffords story. Nothing special. Still one of the best things I'll see this week.

The Walking Dead "Consumed"
I'm getting a little tired of these limited focus episodes. It'll be nice to get back to the main group with some expanded scope next week. Really, when fatigue from what came before it is my big concern with this episode, that speaks well for it. Carol and Daryl are two of the strongest characters right now. Between the flashbacks covering the things that Carol has done so far off camera and seeing the other side of all this hospital stuff with the Beth episode, this week reminded me a lot of placing the last pieces in a puzzle. The concern was filling holes more than producing new conflict. I'm ok with that because the rest of the time was devoted to character development of two of my favorites.

Gotham "Harvey Dent"
Is anyone going to be left to be introduced after Batman comes along? At this rate, when Bruce finally masks up, all the people he's fighting will have AARP cards. I was more entertained by his interactions with Selina than I expected (once I ignored the Muppet Babies theme song playing in my head). She's loosening Bruce up significantly. It would be foolish of me to ask that they don't play into him having a crush on her, so I won't. In fact, I'm going to get in early on the Bruce/Selina shipping. I just can't wait for next week when they have to babysit a toddler Dick Grayson.

Scorpion "Rogue Element"
Scorpion asks nothing of me. I don't need to remember what happened last week. The only important things in any episode are said, not hinted at, and said many times in case I missed it the first time. The characters have an easy rapport. The dramatic moments (like learning about Cabe's dead daughter) never bring me too down and the sweet moments (like Cabe and Walter getting burgers at the end) make my heart swell just enough. Because of that, I ask nothing of it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment