Friday, October 14, 2022

Quick Reaction: Mister Roberts


Oops. I went on vacation before writing this. Now, a week later, most of the movie escapes me. That’s probably because it wasn’t a super remarkable movie. This is basically Stalag 17 on a boat. Both are male dominated casts with WWII settings based on plays that mixed comedy and drama. Mister Roberts has some impressive names attached. Henry Fonda, James Cagney, and Jack Lemmon among others starring. John Ford co-directing. I didn’t care for how much the movie felt like it was based on a play. They didn’t try that hard to adapt it for the screen. I guess they went to a few locations in and around the boat, but that’s about it. I can get behind Jack Lemmon winning the Oscar for his role (as long as I don’t check who he beat that year). It’s funny to me to compare this version of going stir crazy during war with something like Jarhead. We’ve come a long way I suppose.

 

I didn’t care for the ending of this movie; finding out that Mister Roberts had died. I totally see how it works in a play. Jarring tone shifts work better on stage for whatever reason. In this film, it felt forced.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don’t Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment