Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Delayed Reaction: Manhunter

Premise: Have you seen Red Dragon?


To me, Manhunter is a movie rendered unwatchable because of what followed. It’s the first film adaptation of one of Thomas Harris’ Hannibal Lector books. It was followed by one of the best movies of the 1990s with one of the most iconic performances of all time. Then that was matched by one of the best TV shows of the 2010s. And in between were numerous sequels and remakes that diluted the brand. I’m seeing Manhunter after all those other adaptations, and it wasn’t a favorable situation for it.

 

The movie is OK. Michael Mann directed, so it’s got more style than it has any right to have. The synth-y soundtrack makes this feel more like the Miami Vice take on the Hannibal Lector books. The biggest problem with the movie though is that William Petersen isn’t my Will Graham. Brian Cox and Dennis Farina are my third favorite version of their characters. I’ve been spoiled on this story. I appreciate seeing Mann’s initial attempt at the material. It’s interesting to see how the depiction of it has evolved in the last 4 decades. However, all Manhunter did for me is make me want to rewatch the Hannibal TV series and Silence of the Lambs.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment